No Justice No Pride is a collective of organizers and activists from across the District of Columbia. We exist to end the LGBT movement’s complicity with systems of oppression that further marginalize queer and trans individuals. Our members are black, brown, queer, trans, gender nonconforming, bisexual, indigenous, two-spirit, formerly incarcerated, disabled, white allies and together we recognize that there can be no pride for some of us without liberation for all of us.

  • CAMP50 - NJNP Trans + Queer Actioncamp

    Synopsis:

    With this year marking 50 years since stonewall NJNP wishes to honor Marsha and Sylvia’s legacies for continued trans and queer resistance against systematic and institutional forces that are killing us; with a two week long action camp at the end of May leading up to June — which for many cities on the east coast is the month we celebrate Pride. This Action Camp will prepare participants for the fight ahead in reclaiming these legacies; with priority focus to trans people of color and former and current sex workers. Our hopes are to be able to do this over a span of around two weeks, from the week of May 19th- June 3rd. The action camp will feature workshops that range from choreography and how to plan a ball to learning critical political histories, how to organize and use direct action tactics, that will all lead up to NJNP’s June Mobilization that will feature a KiKi DMV runway ball, ‘Ball 50’; a Stonewall community kickback event — to serve as an alternative to a white washed and corporation collaborated pride festival — and several direct actions that highlight the City’s neglect for issues around housing, sex work criminalization and healthcare for the trans community.

    We’re currently are reaching out to groups we work with to see if yall have any workshops, trainings, clinics, events, celebrations etc that you would like to present at our Actioncamp and or if any groups would like to partner.  The Actioncamp will not be exclusive to Trans and Queer Folx but is of course intended to center trans community members, as May is all about Trans! Cis people, we need and would love your help with making this a reality as well.

    We are hoping to build an action(s) / prepare participants during this camp that will take place during pride weekend and beyond. The Actioncamp will start on May 19th, and carry on thru the afternoons and evenings of both weeks, we will be limited our scheduling Memorial Day weekend for Black Pride, and will be ending the actioncamp the following weekend featuring a four day long Direct Actions Tactics Micro-action camp where participants will learn climbing and blockade basics. We have various venues booked and can provide space for more workshops/events.

    Goals & Objectives:

    1. Plan and Host 2 week action camp with 50 participants and organizers from May to June 2018 plugging participants into local organizing and community work that is already happening.
    2. Build a space to Exchange and expand skills, experiences, knowledge, and build new relationships in the trans and queer community. Transferring knowledge from seasoned trans organizers to younger newly energized organizers.
    3. Prepare participants for direct actions and events taking place the week of pride and build a grassroots movement of activists ready to fight when the Sex Workers Advocates Coalition (SWAC) with supporting City Council Members reintroducing a bill to decriminalize sex work in DC.

    Logistics, Housekeeping and what else to expect:

    Do you have a workshop, training, skillshare etc to share with the community? We can’t do this without you!  It doesn’t have to be a workshop or skillshare, it can be a healing space, a performance, an art build, film screenings, etc, we have some sample criteria below for you to think about before submitting. You can submit a workshop or event here.

    What No Justice No Pride and the core planning team are providing:

    • Overall coordination and promotion of Camp 50 to ensure as much collaboration as possible.
    • Two weeks of trainings, skill shares, plays,  film screenings and other pre-pride festivities.
    • Coordination & Booking of four Venues with different features. Including places for providing meals.
    • Two Direct Action 101s, a four day long training on Direct Action Tactics such as climbing and blockades, a series of workshops on community organizing and action planning, workshops on choreography, runway & modeling and cosmetology, and (hopefully) a convergence space.
    • Coordinating Public and Private large planning meetings during the actioncamp to plan actions around #Stonewall50
    • Stipends to participants who are sex workers, Trans - BIPoC.
    • Stipends to facilitator/trainers/organizers who are from TQBIPoC communities by request.
    • Basic logistics - PA Systems, chairs & tables, snacks up to a limit, etc

    What you will need to provide (*For Workshop/event submitters*):

    • Your programming! What is it you are trying to do? What do you hope the participants wish to get out of your event?
    • One point of contact — to talk thru the plan with the core team
    • Facilitators, Trainers, Interpretations, etc — We have limited facilitation capacity, groups/individuals making submissions will have to figure out their own staffing. We can help provide coordination for anyone wishing to volunteer to facilitate
    • Outreach for your event — We will include it in our schedule and promotions however inviting participants and doing turn out to your event will be on you. We will be using the hashtags #Stonewall50 and #Camp50, and are happy to cohost the event on our facebook page, feel free to reach out to emmelia@nojusticenopride.org for further social media coordination
    • Printing Materials — We have a limited print budget, we can print additional resources for you if its needed but we encourage you to try to fundraise it.
    • A plan for where the participants go from there. Do they plug into your work or another group? Are you hoping for participants to come to future events? Try to think thru and have a plan for how participants can benefit/plug in to your project over the course of the next few months. This is for your purposes, we don’t need to see it. We just want to encourage capacity building wherever we can!
    • If you are submitting on behalf of an Organization and your org’s 2018 budget was greater than 85k, we ask that you contribute to and share our gofundme page to help us raise funds to provide participant stipends.

    We are asking groups with budgets of 85k or larger to make suggested donation starting at $100, groups with budgets greater than 120k to contribute $150, budgets greater than 160k to donate 200, etc.

     

    Additional Info

    The Action Camp will span two weeks with participants having the option to select multiple courses/classes/curriculum/trainings/skillshares — gonna refer to this as courses for lack of a better word. Some of these courses will repeat to give the most amount of availability to people with scheduling conflicts, some courses may also be broken up in parts or sections; while others may be geared towards experience with beginners / 101s and more advance courses “Trainings for trainers”.

    I.E. (This is a hypothetical):

    • We may feature a course called “The 5 steps to a organizing conversation”, have that be a course that is broken up over two trainings (Part I & Part II) that are for ex 2 hours long each.
    • Then for example on the first tuesday we may offer a Part I option in the Morning and Evening, and a third option middle of the day on Saturday, then offer Part II in the middle of the Day Sunday, Tuesday Am or Tuesday PM.

     

    Two whole weeks tho? -

    Since we would like to cover courses or workshops ranging from dancing/choreography and modeling to direct action trainings involving tactics, and some of these will be broken up by different days or offer multiple times to attend; we are planning / scheduling for a full two weeks.

    If I am helping fill a venue/space need, do I need to have it available for all of that time? -

    No, courses/workshops will be held at different venues, with some venues only being used for particular courses on particular dates.  Further below you will find a timeline that has dates and anticipated/confirmed venues.

    Will there be a way for others to plug into planning?

    Yes, we will be posting a call for submissions soon and will be reaching out to folks to help expand the core planning group. People who submit course submissions, ofc will be invited to the core planning group (not some exclusive group btw, just a couple of NJNP folks and others wanting to ensure this happens)

    Other things to note:

    There will be organizing and mobilizing around NJNP #Stonewall50 / Reclaim Pride related stuff (DC and Beyond) at the same time. Courses from the Action Camp may be used to help offset organizing/training. Ideally would be nice to coordinate a few mass / large meetings for this mobilizing with camp participants. Organize spaces for housing/lodging, hubs for meetings/meals/etc within DC.

    *We would like to do the following*

    • to be able to raise enough money to provide stipends to a group of DC Based participants (we can expand if we get special requests from folks elsewhere who really could benefit but otherwise wouldn’t be able to attend). *We know for a lot of folks who can benefit the most from these events often aren’t able to attend due to travel costs, admission fees and the fact that often many working class, black and brown trans and queer people are more focus on spending that time obtaining resources for theirs and their loved ones day to day needs. We could help offset some costs, by ask folks of privilege to donate a sliding scale fee.

    • Cover Travel to organizers and participants (who can’t cover it)*
      This is a given
    • Provide lodging for traveling organizers and Participants
      We have a safehouse that we can use for a short term basis for traveling organizers who need to be here for early may for any T4Ts
      Based on request we can have rooms available at eaton hotel. (But will have to put a deadline up on that)
    • Pay Trans & Queer Organizers/facilitators/etc of color + Trainers/facilitators who are traveling.
  • May

    31


    Camp Escapade

    10:00 AM — June 03, 2019
    RSVP
  • Camp50 Workshop & Event Submissions

    Do you have a workshop, training, skillshare etc to share with the community? We can’t do this without you!  It doesn’t have to be a workshop or skillshare, it can be a healing space, a performance, an art build, film screenings, etc, we have some sample criteria below for you to think about before submitting.

    You can submit a workshop or event here

    We will be accepting submissions up until May 7th!

     

    Suggested Criteria —

    To save space on our workshop submission form we asked that any group/persons wishing to coordinate a workshop or event, to try to hit at least half of these points of criteria. If you are requesting a stipend from NJNP to do your workshop, we may ask for the criteria to be followed more strictly. NJNP believes in autonomous principles and are not wanting to box any group in, however we do wish to set a standard to ensure Camp50 benefits the Trans Community; we are not asking that all criteria is met exactly as written here, only that your event or workshop is inline or in consensus with what’s listed below (Some bullet items may not even apply for your event):

    • It clearly benefits the trans community, particularly Black and Brown Trans Women.
    • Your workshop or event should build off of existing campaigning, organizing and issues in the DC area. Let us know if you have questions or would like to be plugged in with any local organizing.
    • Aligns with NJNP’s Vision

      We ask that when planning your event that your goals supports the following:
      • Creating a connected transnational movement of Trans and Queer people, led/informed by those most on the margins — Black and Brown Communities, indigenous communities, two-spirit, formerly incarcerated, disabled communities - not to box in- — Thriving and succeeding at building the world that affirms us all.
      • Create space for most impacted Trans, nonbinary, queer, lgbtq, poc, sex workers, folks on the margins to be able to have public space and attention/being centered in conversations, advocacy, media; folks whose politics are more radical than liberal/conservative
      • Flip institutional power of queer and Trans communities away from “established” to most impacted. Providing counternarratives to what is (b/c of the way systems are structured) has just one very loud/heard narrative
    • Follows and adheres to DC Local Organizing Principles.
    • Your group is lead or has trans folks in leadership or your workshop/event will have trans facilitators or organizers.
    • Your group is lead by or has in leadership Black and Brown Trans and Queer folks or your workshop/event will have Black and Brown facilitators or organizers.
    • You don’t fuck with the police.
    • You don’t fuck with the police.
    • You don’t fuck with the police.


    Logistics, Housekeeping and what else to expect:


    What No Justice No Pride and the core planning team are providing:
    • Overall coordination and promotion of Camp 50 to ensure as much collaboration as possible.
    • Two weeks of trainings, skill shares, plays,  film screenings and other pre-pride festivities.
    • Coordination & Booking of four Venues with different features. Including places for providing meals.
    • Two Direct Action 101s, a four day long training on Direct Action Tactics such as climbing and blockades, a series of workshops on community organizing and action planning, workshops on choreography, runway & modeling and cosmetology, and (hopefully) a convergence space.
    • Coordinating Public and Private large planning meetings during the actioncamp to plan actions around #Stonewall50
    • Stipends to participants who are sex workers, Trans - BIPoC.
    • Stipends to facilitator/trainers/organizers who are from TQBIPoC communities by request.
    • Basic logistics - PA Systems, chairs & tables, snacks up to a limit, etc

    What you will need to provide:
      • Your programming! What is it you are trying to do? What do you hope the participants wish to get out of your event?
      • One point of contact — to talk thru the plan with the core team
      • Facilitators, Trainers, Interpretations, etc — We have limited facilitation capacity, groups/individuals making submissions will have to figure out their own staffing. We can help provide coordination for anyone wishing to volunteer to facilitate
      • Outreach for your event — We will include it in our schedule and promotions however inviting participants and doing turn out to your event will be on you. We will be using the hashtags #Stonewall50 and #Camp50, and are happy to cohost the event on our facebook page, feel free to reach out to emmelia@nojusticenopride.org for further social media coordination
      • Printing Materials — We have a limited print budget, we can print additional resources for you if its needed but we encourage you to try to fundraise it.
      • A plan for where the participants go from there. Do they plug into your work or another group? Are you hoping for participants to come to future events? Try to think thru and have a plan for how participants can benefit/plug in to your project over the course of the next few months. This is for your purposes, we don’t need to see it. We just want to encourage capacity building wherever we can!
      • If you are submitting on behalf of an Organization and your org’s 2018 budget was greater than 85k, we ask that you contribute to and share our gofundme page to help us raise funds to provide participant stipends. We are asking groups with budgets of 85k or larger to make suggested donation starting at $100, groups with budgets greater than 120k to contribute $150, budgets greater than 160k to donate 200, etc.
    Check Back for updates!

    We will be updating this page with resources as we continue the planning process! We will be accepting submissions up until May 7th!

  • CAMP50 - NJNP Trans + Queer Actioncamp

    Synopsis:

    With this year marking 50 years since stonewall NJNP wishes to honor Marsha and Sylvia’s legacies for continued trans and queer resistance against systematic and institutional forces that are killing us; with a two week long action camp at the end of May leading up to June — which for many cities on the east coast is the month we celebrate Pride. This Action Camp will prepare participants for the fight ahead in reclaiming these legacies; with priority focus to trans people of color and former and current sex workers. Our hopes are to be able to do this over a span of around two weeks, from the week of May 19th- June 3rd. The action camp will feature workshops that range from choreography and how to plan a ball to learning critical political histories, how to organize and use direct action tactics, that will all lead up to NJNP’s June Mobilization that will feature a KiKi DMV runway ball, ‘Ball 50’; a Stonewall community kickback event — to serve as an alternative to a white washed and corporation collaborated pride festival — and several direct actions that highlight the City’s neglect for issues around housing, sex work criminalization and healthcare for the trans community.

    We’re currently are reaching out to groups we work with to see if yall have any workshops, trainings, clinics, events, celebrations etc that you would like to present at our Actioncamp and or if any groups would like to partner.  The Actioncamp will not be exclusive to Trans and Queer Folx but is of course intended to center trans community members, as May is all about Trans! Cis people, we need and would love your help with making this a reality as well.

    We are hoping to build an action(s) / prepare participants during this camp that will take place during pride weekend and beyond. The Actioncamp will start on May 19th, and carry on thru the afternoons and evenings of both weeks, we will be limited our scheduling Memorial Day weekend for Black Pride, and will be ending the actioncamp the following weekend featuring a four day long Direct Actions Tactics Micro-action camp where participants will learn climbing and blockade basics. We have various venues booked and can provide space for more workshops/events.

    Goals & Objectives:

    1. Plan and Host 2 week action camp with 50 participants and organizers from May to June 2018 plugging participants into local organizing and community work that is already happening.
    2. Build a space to Exchange and expand skills, experiences, knowledge, and build new relationships in the trans and queer community. Transferring knowledge from seasoned trans organizers to younger newly energized organizers.
    3. Prepare participants for direct actions and events taking place the week of pride and build a grassroots movement of activists ready to fight when the Sex Workers Advocates Coalition (SWAC) with supporting City Council Members reintroducing a bill to decriminalize sex work in DC.

    Logistics, Housekeeping and what else to expect:

    Do you have a workshop, training, skillshare etc to share with the community? We can’t do this without you!  It doesn’t have to be a workshop or skillshare, it can be a healing space, a performance, an art build, film screenings, etc, we have some sample criteria below for you to think about before submitting. You can submit a workshop or event here.

    What No Justice No Pride and the core planning team are providing:

    • Overall coordination and promotion of Camp 50 to ensure as much collaboration as possible.
    • Two weeks of trainings, skill shares, plays,  film screenings and other pre-pride festivities.
    • Coordination & Booking of four Venues with different features. Including places for providing meals.
    • Two Direct Action 101s, a four day long training on Direct Action Tactics such as climbing and blockades, a series of workshops on community organizing and action planning, workshops on choreography, runway & modeling and cosmetology, and (hopefully) a convergence space.
    • Coordinating Public and Private large planning meetings during the actioncamp to plan actions around #Stonewall50
    • Stipends to participants who are sex workers, Trans - BIPoC.
    • Stipends to facilitator/trainers/organizers who are from TQBIPoC communities by request.
    • Basic logistics - PA Systems, chairs & tables, snacks up to a limit, etc

    What you will need to provide (*For Workshop/event submitters*):

    • Your programming! What is it you are trying to do? What do you hope the participants wish to get out of your event?
    • One point of contact — to talk thru the plan with the core team
    • Facilitators, Trainers, Interpretations, etc — We have limited facilitation capacity, groups/individuals making submissions will have to figure out their own staffing. We can help provide coordination for anyone wishing to volunteer to facilitate
    • Outreach for your event — We will include it in our schedule and promotions however inviting participants and doing turn out to your event will be on you. We will be using the hashtags #Stonewall50 and #Camp50, and are happy to cohost the event on our facebook page, feel free to reach out to emmelia@nojusticenopride.org for further social media coordination
    • Printing Materials — We have a limited print budget, we can print additional resources for you if its needed but we encourage you to try to fundraise it.
    • A plan for where the participants go from there. Do they plug into your work or another group? Are you hoping for participants to come to future events? Try to think thru and have a plan for how participants can benefit/plug in to your project over the course of the next few months. This is for your purposes, we don’t need to see it. We just want to encourage capacity building wherever we can!
    • If you are submitting on behalf of an Organization and your org’s 2018 budget was greater than 85k, we ask that you contribute to and share our gofundme page to help us raise funds to provide participant stipends.

    We are asking groups with budgets of 85k or larger to make suggested donation starting at $100, groups with budgets greater than 120k to contribute $150, budgets greater than 160k to donate 200, etc.

     

    Additional Info

    The Action Camp will span two weeks with participants having the option to select multiple courses/classes/curriculum/trainings/skillshares — gonna refer to this as courses for lack of a better word. Some of these courses will repeat to give the most amount of availability to people with scheduling conflicts, some courses may also be broken up in parts or sections; while others may be geared towards experience with beginners / 101s and more advance courses “Trainings for trainers”.

    I.E. (This is a hypothetical):

    • We may feature a course called “The 5 steps to a organizing conversation”, have that be a course that is broken up over two trainings (Part I & Part II) that are for ex 2 hours long each.
    • Then for example on the first tuesday we may offer a Part I option in the Morning and Evening, and a third option middle of the day on Saturday, then offer Part II in the middle of the Day Sunday, Tuesday Am or Tuesday PM.

     

    Two whole weeks tho? -

    Since we would like to cover courses or workshops ranging from dancing/choreography and modeling to direct action trainings involving tactics, and some of these will be broken up by different days or offer multiple times to attend; we are planning / scheduling for a full two weeks.

    If I am helping fill a venue/space need, do I need to have it available for all of that time? -

    No, courses/workshops will be held at different venues, with some venues only being used for particular courses on particular dates.  Further below you will find a timeline that has dates and anticipated/confirmed venues.

    Will there be a way for others to plug into planning?

    Yes, we will be posting a call for submissions soon and will be reaching out to folks to help expand the core planning group. People who submit course submissions, ofc will be invited to the core planning group (not some exclusive group btw, just a couple of NJNP folks and others wanting to ensure this happens)

    Other things to note:

    There will be organizing and mobilizing around NJNP #Stonewall50 / Reclaim Pride related stuff (DC and Beyond) at the same time. Courses from the Action Camp may be used to help offset organizing/training. Ideally would be nice to coordinate a few mass / large meetings for this mobilizing with camp participants. Organize spaces for housing/lodging, hubs for meetings/meals/etc within DC.

    *We would like to do the following*

    • to be able to raise enough money to provide stipends to a group of DC Based participants (we can expand if we get special requests from folks elsewhere who really could benefit but otherwise wouldn’t be able to attend). *We know for a lot of folks who can benefit the most from these events often aren’t able to attend due to travel costs, admission fees and the fact that often many working class, black and brown trans and queer people are more focus on spending that time obtaining resources for theirs and their loved ones day to day needs. We could help offset some costs, by ask folks of privilege to donate a sliding scale fee.

    • Cover Travel to organizers and participants (who can’t cover it)*
      This is a given
    • Provide lodging for traveling organizers and Participants
      We have a safehouse that we can use for a short term basis for traveling organizers who need to be here for early may for any T4Ts
      Based on request we can have rooms available at eaton hotel. (But will have to put a deadline up on that)
    • Pay Trans & Queer Organizers/facilitators/etc of color + Trainers/facilitators who are traveling.

  • The NJNP Collective

    No Justice No Pride(NJNP) is creating Trans Sanctuary at the NJNP Collective

    The NJNP Collective has been a vital resource to DC's Trans and Activist Community and currently has nine long term trans tenants, many of whom lack access to stable employment and need our help in order to remain in the district near vital resources and work.  No Justice No Pride (NJNP) additionally provides temporary housing, and sometimes in rapid response situations; for 5 to 20 young trans and queer people lacking stable housing a night at the collective or throughout our local network. 

  • Read more
  • Share Your Story

    No Justice No Pride is engaged in work to support multiple pieces of local legislation to decriminalize Fare Evasion and sex work along with finding solutions to those most on the margins within the 2SLGBTQ+ Community.

    We are also interested in learning about how to improve services related to housing, general wellness of the community, and issues
    It's important that we amplify different experiences with these issues to our elected leaders and other constituents so that they can better understand the direct impacts of this legislation, and ensure that their decisions reflect the needs of those they would affect. We will cover the following topics in this survey: Fare evasion; street harassment; sex work experiences; housing; wellness; language access; and immigration-related services. Find out more about this work here. 

    Below are some of the stories that our organizers or supporters have submitted. If you would like to get in contact with us about opportunities to share your story publicly and/or with elected leaders fill out this form. You may also submit your experiences privately/anonymously if you wish.

     

  • 2,509

    of a 60,000 signature goal
    Read more

Take Action and Get Involved!

Share Your Story

It's important that we amplify the different experiences of our community and the issues that impact them to our elected leaders and other constituents to ensure that their decisions (and votes) reflect the needs of those they would affect. Will...

TAKE ACTION

Pledge to Mobilize: 50 Years since Stonewall

As No Justice No Pride takes action to continue Marsha and Sylvia's legacies, we call on others to join us in our demands for holistic solutions based on abolitionist principles for those most on the margins in the LGBTQ Community - particularly...

TAKE ACTION

Take Action: (DC) Reclaim Pride

For years, Capital Pride has ignored the concerns of queer, trans, Black, Latinx, and Two-Spirit communities in D.C. regarding its complicity with entities that harm LGBTQ2S people. Since March 2017, No Justice No Pride has been working to ensure that...

TAKE ACTION

Tell Council Member Charles Allen to hold a hearing on Sex Work Decriminalization!

Last year, Allen said he didn’t believe it had support to pass in the Council but his role as Chair is to call a hearing to engage the wider community about this issue. We deserve to have our voices heard....

TAKE ACTION

Action: Mayor Bowser, Chief of Police Newsham, Attorney General Racine, Council member & Chair of the Judiciary Committee Charles Allen and City Council Chair Phil Mendelson truly support our Trans and GNC communities.

2,509

of a 60,000 signature goal

Sign the petition: Mayor Bowser, Chief of Police Newsham, Attorney General Racine, Council member & Chair of the Judiciary Committee Charles Allen and City Council Chair Phil Mendelson truly support our communities.

TAKE ACTION