Tell Capital Pride Alliance to truly support Trans and Queer communities!
- Capital Pride’s executive board will include a paid position for a trans woman of color with deep connections to DC’s trans community. A DC Native is preferred.
- Capital Pride will consult and listen to the needs of trans women of color to ensure that Pride is safe and accessible to trans women of color and that it does not erase their historic role in the birth of pride.
- No longer allowing MPD or any other law enforcement agency to march in the Pride parade.
- Committing to scale back police presence at all Capital Pride events.
- Barring from participation in its festivities recruiters from any local, state, and federal law enforcement department or agency.
- Creating a paid managerial position within Capital Pride reserved for a native or indigenous leader (Preferably of the Piscataway nation.)
- Officially and publicly recognize that Capital Pride takes place on Piscataway land and make a formal commitment to work with indigenous and two spirit communities.
- Replacing the executive board with people who are open to feedback, accountable to the community, and representative of marginalized communities.
- The executive board will include trans people of color (binary and non-binary inclusive), queer and trans DC natives, queer and trans youth, bisexuals, individuals with disabilities and indigenous and two spirit individuals.
- Capital Pride will immediately begin the process of creating a transparent and democratic process for selecting board members.
- Capital Pride will create an outreach committee that regularly meets with local trans and queer people of other intersecting marginalized identities
*We use the phrase ‘historically marginalized’ we to refer to trans people, particularly trans women of color, and LGBTQIA2S people of color, particularly those who are black, Latinx, indigenous, low income, Muslim, immigrant, disabled, or undocumented.”
- Barring all industries that profit from war, detention and incarceration, environmental destruction, evictions, community displacement and Israel’s oppression of Palestinians from participation in Capital Pride events.
- Restricting all corporate branding and signage in future Capital Pride events.
- Creating transparent and robust standards for screening corporations that wish to support Capital Pride.
- Immediately cutting ties with Wells Fargo, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, Leidos, Northrop Grumman, and any other defense contractors. Transfer Capital Pride funds to an account with a local credit union.
- Immediately cut ties with Wells Fargo and defense contractors and donate any and all funds from them to local community based organizations that support queer, trans, two-spirit and Muslim communities.